PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Author Topic: In need of help deciding on a system to use/modify for a game idea.  (Read 1050 times)

TheGentlemanGhostronaut

• Journeyman
  • XP: 5
  • The artist formerly known as NotTheRedWire
    • View Profile

For a while now I've been wanting to run a game in a universe I've been creating and I'm not sure what system to use.  I'd like something which gives structure and a sense of progress, but isn't so bogged down in numbers that things will slow to a crawl, this stems from two things: One, my brain simply can't handle rule heavy systems, and two, I'd like it to be leaning more towards the side of narrative adventure.

The idea I have is based off of the video game "Brutal Legend", which if you're not aware is centred around a world that is the literal embodiment of Heavy Metal music.
In my universe a band arises preaching Metal as a sort of philosophy of brotherhood, but a war that has been brewing for a long time finally boils over and sees the world burn in atomic fire.  The band, now almost religious figures in the eyes of some wage a war on the gods that they see as being responsible not only for failing to prevent the war, but also for encouraging it, and in the process of slaying the old gods they become godlike themselves.

A thousand years later the gods have transplanted humanity to a new world built around their philosophy, and things such as guitars, microphones, and hot rods are arcane artefacts holding much coveted power.
The players would be a "band" brought together in the face of old world troubles encroaching on the new world, and they would take up roles that are bizarre combinations of musical rolls and classic fantasy archetypes, such as Soul Soothers (bassists with the power to heal the body and mind), Earth Shakers (drummers who can make the elements do their bidding), and Axe Wielders (Guitarists able to weaver great magicks by using the secret 'riffs of power'.) amongst other things.

So, based off of that can anyone suggest something to use/adapt?

Edit: Corrected horrific spelling mistakes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:02:06 PM by TheGentlemanGhostronaut »

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • XP: 25
    • View Profile
Re: In need of help deciding on a system to use/modify for a game idea.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »

When it comes to rules-light systems, I'm a big fan of The Window.  So much so that I'm literally in the process of converting all my F2F Call of Cthulhu and campaigns into the Window System (and hoping the PCs like it as well).

It's a very rules light system that is essentially a few mechanics, what die you'll need, how to interpret results, and recommendation for attributes - and that's about it.  Skills and abilities are designed to be purely descriptive and as made up as you want them to be.  There is no master list of "choose/put points in these skills," you literally put down whatever skill you think your character would have.  So for example, if you think your character is good at running you would write the skill down as:

...is an above average runner (d10)

Or you can break it down and make it even more detailed if you want

...is a excellent sprinter (d8), but lacks the endurance for a marathon race (d20)
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson

Om

• √úberGuber
  • Grand Master
  • XP: 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »

I would nab a copy of Heroquest and run with it.

cthughua

• Administrator
  • Grand Master
  • XP: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:09 AM »

I'll put my 2 copper in, I'm a huge fan of the Cypher System.  It's very rules light and story-driven.

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • XP: 11
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 02:15:44 AM »

Savage Worlds
"Don't give them what they want.  Give them what they need."  Joss Whedon

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • XP: 11
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 03:46:07 AM »

More exactly . . . the tongue-in-cheek "Savage Worlds: Murder-lite Edition:" http://violentmediarpg.blogspot.com/2015/06/savage-worlds-murder-lite-edition.html

Warning: The author of the above [which is NOT me] has heavily sprinkled his work with various curse words.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:50:10 AM by raikenclw »
"Don't give them what they want.  Give them what they need."  Joss Whedon

QuintinLi

• Neophyte
  • XP: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »

Did anything ever come out of this idea? It sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if you'd control the whole band or just one character, would it be turn based or real time, etc.