PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OOC Thread for Episode Five, Scene One  (Read 1283 times)

cdwjava

• Artisan
  • XP: 1
  • Lady Lydia Edgecombe: Space 1889 Red Sands
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Thread for Episode Five, Scene One
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 04:23:46 AM »

According to an old thread on the Technical Requests board, this seems to be an intermittent problem with the basic engine (Simple Machines) which pbphouse uses.

I'm actually getting replies now ... two so far.

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • XP: 11
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 06:26:41 AM »

According to an old thread on the Technical Requests board, this seems to be an intermittent problem with the basic engine (Simple Machines) which pbphouse uses.

I'm actually getting replies now ... two so far.

Yep.

They seem to have it fixed. Again. For now.
"Don't give them what they want.  Give them what they need."  Joss Whedon

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »

Just checking in, so that this game doesn't get deleted.

I honestly do hope to re-start it one day . . . :)

cdwjava

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »

Heh ... surprised to see this pop up in my queue!

It might start again one day?  Cool.

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »

Heh ... surprised to see this pop up in my queue!

It might start again one day?  Cool.

Hey, there cdwjava!

Yeah. I'm still interested in running a game set in The District. I'm currently working on a MUCH streamlined version of the Savage Worlds rules, with this end in mind.

cdwjava

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 07:56:20 PM »

The rage for PbP seems to be Apocalypse World style games these days - fewer rolls.  But, much of the narrative control is ceded to the players.  I am part of a few such games on Tavern-Keeper. 

Savage Worlds has had a facelift of sorts recently, and they have a new expansive space module called Seven Worlds.  I can send you a link to the info after I upload something to Google Docs (though it might be a few days - I'll be unavailable in an hour or so probably until Sunday night.

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »

Savage Worlds has had a facelift of sorts recently, and they have a new expansive space module called Seven Worlds.  I can send you a link to the info . . .

I would appreciate that.

No worries about the time needed. :)

Do you still have my email address?

[NOTE: The "streamlined" rules I'm working on were inspired by the tongue-in-cheek MurderLite rules:

http://violentmediarpg.blogspot.com/2015/06/savage-worlds-murder-lite-edition.html

cdwjava

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »

I'd be wary about using too much of a modified system as it might not do what you might want it to do in a sci-fi system.  If you are up for a guided narrative system, there is Apocalypse World derivatives (and there are some sci-fi ones - two good ones) as well.

I probably have your email still saved somewhere ... but ... I forgot which one it is.  I don't have your name associated with it for some reason, so I'm not sure.

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 09:16:47 PM »

I might try Apocalypse World, then.

I really don't care what rules system I use, at least not in pbp.

cdwjava

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 02:44:21 AM »

Email with links and info sent to your personal account.  Enjoy!

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 07:20:35 PM »

Thanks!

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »

I've been reading the Apocalype World rules. As you say, they sound tailor-made for pbp play.

So far, there are three things which strike me about the system, all in a good way:

1) Marginal Success vs Complete Success: I like how an average result (without applying modifiers) gets the player a success with conditions, while a failure gets a range of even worse conditions.

2) PLAYER Chooses Bad Consequences: I like how it's usually up to the player to choose the type of bad condition in the above situations, then the GM comes up with the details of implementing it.

3) Dramatic Build-Up Of Possible Consequences: I like how the GMing section advises you to slowly build up - through multiple-choice situations - to an Unavoidable Really Bad Consequence. In other words, any player with half a brain should be able to see the shape of what's coming, should they continue down the road they've currently chosen.   

cdwjava

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 07:15:02 PM »

The beauty of the system, in general, is that the GM need only create an outline - it is the players that fill in the meat and potatoes.  The GM might give up some power, but, it also allows the players to make their characters shine, or add details to a scene that they feel are important.  Once they make their roll, they can describe what they did ... so, that 10+ they rolled while fighting the bad guys can allow the player to describe his jackie Chan like moves and how the bad guys are splayed out in the cargo hold before him!  All with one roll, rather than 10 rolls and a month's worth of exchanges online.

There is also the flexibility.  The GM might describe a cargo bay and what is in there, but point out that there is something else that stands out.  Perhaps to a single character.  "Billybob sees that one of the crates is unique, and given his past history with the Robber Barons of Sirius, he recognizes the crate as one he helped steal so long ago.  Billybob, what's in it, who did you steal it from, and how did you and the gang get away?"  (Though it would probably be a little more articulate than that ... )

The player can then describe the item in question and create an additional backstory about the item ... and, possibly, new plot threads and NPC ideas for the GM.  Perhaps someone else now wants the crate?  Perhaps this will be a new competitor who will appear?  Etc.

I have a PbP game of Apocalypse Worlds 2nd Ed. on TK and have allowed the players ideas to supercede my own because THEIR interpretation of events before them have tended to be much more interesting than my intended plotline.  So, I am malleable and let the plot THEY have essentially (and unwittingly) created play out.  It actually takes a great deal of the onus off of the GM.

The only downside is that as GM you have to let go of strict control of all the detail.  But, in exchange, you tend to get happy players as they tell a story they want to tell, and their characters can seem much more heroic or grand than they might be in another system.
Pages: 1 [2]