PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Author Topic: The Children of the Cloak Crimson [The One Ring]  (Read 276 times)

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
  • XP: 41
    • View Profile
The Children of the Cloak Crimson [The One Ring]
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »

In the seventh year of the reign of Thengel the Stranger King, a party of young Rohirrim is sent to a small township on the border with Dunland upon the request of the farmers and herdsmen there who have captured a raiding party of Dunlendings; the township elder seeks their lord's guidance on their disposition, because this is unlike any raiding party of Wildmen these folk have ever seen.

Game System: The One Ring
# Players: 2-5
Post Rate: 2-3x per week

This is a game set in Rohan after the death of Smaug but well before the War of the Ring. PCs will be men or women of Rohan in the service of a local lord.  Think of this as sort of a Middle Earth Western is you will: your characters are a lone party of law and order in a sparsely settled land of homesteaders and herdsmen beset by Orcs and Dunlendings (the latter of whom believe they have been displaced by foreign invaders).

Seuss

• Neophyte
  • XP: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of the Cloak Crimson [The One Ring]
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »

Do the PCs need to be men/women of Rohan?  Or can other cultures be played.

Been jamming a bit to my Dave Matthews collection and for some reason Long Black Veil (not originally by him but a nice cover) got me thinking what a neat story for a The One Ring character.

I was thinking of a Woodmen or Beorning, Wanderer, who has fled the upper vales of the Anduin.  Unlike the song he obviously lives, but fleeing ahead of the headman's axe, rather than admit he'd been 'in the arms of his best friend's wife' and not a killer.

But it doesn't seem impossible that he'd offer his services to the lords and ladies of Rohan.

Plus I like the Woodmen can get a dog  :D

Seuss

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »

Woodman can work; so can the misunderstood fugitive angle. Although the boning of the best friends wife is a little too...skanky for Tolkien.  But, a chaste and noble and unrequited love for the best friends wife could work. Maybe he has suffered a stain on his honor in order to keep hers clean, or to provide her an opportunity at redemption?

Seuss

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »

Well if you've ever heard the song ... Johnny Cash by far made it the most popular rendition ... the narrator chooses to be hung for a murder he didn't commit rather than admit that he was with his friend's wife to protect her honor at the expense of his own.  That's where the chorus of the song comes from.  Where she comes to visit the grave but no one knows that but the narrator.  But anyway ... tangent over  :P

But yeah ... the stain on his honor to protect hers was what I was going for.

And LOL ... I don't know about being too skanky.  The Silmarillion got pretty scandalous in parts.  Brothers hooking up with sisters and cousins seeking dalliances with cousins  ???

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »

You know you are 100% correct. I take it all back.

Seuss

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

I don't know what your timetable was on things but it was my intention to review the rulebook (it has been a while since I looked at the character creation and system) this weekend and get you a character concept/sheet next week.

Seuss

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »

I don't know what your timetable was on things but it was my intention to review the rulebook (it has been a while since I looked at the character creation and system) this weekend and get you a character concept/sheet next week.

Seuss

Yeah that's cool.  Hanging out to see if there is anymore interest.

Perius

• Artisan
  • XP: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »

Still game! Can aim for 2x a week, may slip to 1 occasionally but will do my damnedest! Starting a game should help make sure I keep coming back to the site regularly.

No experience with the system - but if Seuss is playing the shady foreign exile, I might play the ambitious local redshirt? Will check character creation and get back to you!

Seuss

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

I'm still game as well ... though I never got that concept and character sheet too you.  Was kind of making sure the interest was there before investing the time  :-[

Seuss

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »

I'm still game as well ... though I never got that concept and character sheet too you.  Was kind of making sure the interest was there before investing the time  :-[

Seuss

Totally understand.  With just two of you, you'd make tasty jam for enemies pretty quickly. A valiant effort, but I think it shan't fly. :(

Perius

• Artisan
  • XP: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »

Perhaps this is crazy, and definitely your call as prospective GM, but we could always do 2 characters each if the problem is just lack of PCs?