PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Characters [OOC]  (Read 875 times)

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
  • XP: 41
    • View Profile
Re: Characters [OOC]
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »

I'm thinking I'll go for headstrong warrior type, a friend of Gawain who still works for him but has settled down since fleeing Gododin.

Maybe he has married a daughter of some Brigante lord and has some children so even while he is off being a mercenary with Gawain he has a divided loyalty which he owes to his life long leader but also his adopted lord.

Possibly back north of the wall he has a brother, father or uncle who is one of the bounty hunters trying to win Lot's silver and regain his honour by bringing the errant Celt to heel.

Yes, this is great stuff.

Bobitron

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
  • XP: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »

Maybe I'll shift my concept a bit to an exile living south of the all who made an impression on Gawain. Gawain 'reinstates' freeman status on him, a status he never expected, and he is rabidly loyal in return.

Maybe Lot exiled him? Last member of a tribe reluctant to come under his banner, but not strong enough to resist? Stripped of family, lands, and exiled south. Maybe with an obvious sort of brand or scar? Oooooh... Missing a hand, always wraps the stump tightly and has a leather sheath on it that is strapped to his shield.

So he'll always be seen as an exile to those in the north who respect Lot's claim and Gododdin, but below the wall where people don't care as much he's just as useful as the next veteran warrior.

Serious and sober, prone to reflection, slow to act, but loyal and kind. Struck up a close friendship with Colonel's guy, one of the few who know his full past. Among the other mercenaries he's known as reliable and tough, but also as strange- who doesn't brag about their family and history?! Remember when that Saxon woman spit right in his face and he walked away? He's also old to be on the March, perhaps fifty, though he does fine keeping up with the youths. Just a bit slow getting up from the bedroll at dawn.
Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana!

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »

Hey guys:

Haven't forgotten.  I have a critical deadline early next week so I have been working all weekend.  Be back shortly.

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
  • XP: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »

I'm super busy at the moment anyway and the house move is almost upon me so I am sure I will go quiet myself from time to time.

I've been musing on it and I thought it would be cool be a scout or tracker who is one of twins. He and his brother, both comparatively young men at the time, owed fealty to King Lot but were also part of Gawain's warband. When Gawain went renegade the brothers were the first men Lot sent to find Gawain. But on the way they argued about who was in the right and quickly came to blows, with my character saying they should throw in with Gawain and his brother saying they should obey their king. The fight ended with the brother falling over a waterfall and my character, thinking he had killed him, fleeing south of the wall to join up with Gawain.

Ten years later and my character has gone from a headstrong youth to a mature warrior, still guilt ridden about his brother's fate. He has now settled down with a family having married the daughter of a Brigante Lord. He still raids with Gawain when he has need of him but also works for the Brigante lord who is the man called to Winter Council.

He has recently been hearing about a man who looks like him, except with terrible scars, stalking the lands south of the wall and knows his brother is one of the trackers that Lot has sent to aid the Green Knight in bringing Gawain back to face justice. He is torn between relief that his brother is alive and the confrontation which will inevitably follow.

He has grown his hair back to cover the pictish scars and lives under an assumed name but his flame red hair and beard mark him out as a northerner, and even after ten years he is still considered an outsider by his adopted tribe who like to embelish stories about who he really is and what crime he has fled from.

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »

I'm super busy at the moment anyway and the house move is almost upon me so I am sure I will go quiet myself from time to time.

Yeah, now that we're all old and responsible, we will be rolling super easy and chill with this one.  No worries.

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 08:01:09 AM »

Ok. Well that sucked.  Back to important things.  I'm going to walk us through character generation a step at a time at a leisurely pace befitting our august stations in life and commensurate schedules.

When convenient, let's pull together some Characteristics.  Let's do the following roll method:

​Instead of rolling dice to determine characteristics, players build their character from a preset pool of 75 100 points (small party -- will be beefing you up a bit). Certain rules apply to the points build option:

- 1 point in a characteristic costs 1 Point from the Points Build pool
- All Characteristic Points must be used in the design process. Points cannot be held over or used for anything else.

Charisma (CHA)
Charisma measures personality, and is independent of physical appearance. Someone with a high CHA for example, might be ugly or plain to look at, but blessed with a charm and wit that more than compensates for not being handsome. Likewise a low CHA might indicate someone who is radiantly beautiful but utterly shallow or simply meek. A good CHA is often useful for those who wish to be leaders or centres of their local community. Diehard loners and submissive followers tend towards the other extreme. CHA affects a character’s Experience Modifier (see page 9). If CHA is ever falls to zero, the character can no longer socially interact with others, becoming so painfully shy or antisocial they are ignored or even driven away.​

Constitution (CON)
​CON is measure of health and hardiness. Those with a high CON are physically tough, and likely to be more resistant to disease or poison. Those with a low CON are less resilient, and may be prone to sickness and tire quickly. CON is a component in determining Hit Points (see page 10), and Healing Rate (see page 9). If CON falls to zero for any reason the character dies.​

Dexterity (DEX)
​Agility, balance, and reflexes are measured by DEX. Characters with high DEX are fast, nimble, and graceful of movement. Those with a low DEX tend to be lumbering and clumsy. DEX is an important aspect of Action Points (see page 8), and Initiative Bonus (see page 10). If a character is reduced to zero DEX they suffer functional paralysis, unable to move until the situation is rectified.​

Intelligence (INT)
​INT is measurement of cognitive ability. It indicates the capacity for a character to think both logically and creatively. Those with a lower INT score are not necessarily stupid, but they are likely to be constrained in how creatively they can employ their wits. Creatures with an INT of 7 or below are considered sentient, retaining animal level instinct, and able to react to stimuli. Individuals with an INT of 8 or higher are deemed fully sapient. INT is a factor in calculating Action Points (see page 8), and Initiative Bonus (see page 10). If INT is reduced to zero the character becomes completely mindless.​

Power (POW)
​Power is a measurement of a character’s soul, spirit, inner drive, and capacity for magic. It encompasses a number of different things and is a relatively abstract measurement, but is also one of the most important. POW is the characteristic that marks a character out to the gods or other supernatural powers, and is an indication of divine or magical potential, as well as being an indication of the force of their personal determination. POW governs a character’s Magic Points (see page 10), and Luck Points (see page 10). If a character’s POW ever drops to zero they lose all independent will.​

Size (SIZ)
​SIZ measures mass and helps indicate height and weight. The larger the SIZ the heavier or bigger the creature is likely to be. Most creatures’ SIZ has a higher minimum value than other characteristics, representing the smallest example of an adult of that race; which in the case of humans is 8. SIZ is used to help figure Hit Points (see page 10), as larger, heavier creatures tend to have greater endurance against damage. SIZ can also be used to determine a character’s Damage Modifier, since mass helps to increase the force of a blow. SIZ provides rough limits to Height and Weight, depending on the character’s body frame (see page 9). If SIZ drops below the species minimum they are considered to have wasted away to the point they are bedridden.​

Strength (STR)
​STR represents physical strength: how much one can lift, how hard one can hit, and so on. Characters with a high STR are likely to be more heavily muscled whilst those with a low STR are somewhat on the scrawny side. STR is a component of the Damage Modifier (see page 9). If a character is reduced to zero STR he lacks the ability to move or lift objects, becoming bedridden until STR improves somehow (through natural healing or magic, for example).​

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
  • XP: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »

I have ideas for the character but the new system is kicking my brain in the ass.

Om

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »

I have ideas for the character but the new system is kicking my brain in the ass.

I feel you.  Let's switch gears like we did in the old days (remember Ord Heat?).  Give me the following (Bob you too):

Name: (see the book for ideas)

Appearance:

Motivation (1 or 2 -- what keeps him active in a story?):

Flaws (give me 3 -- physical or social or personality; can be relationships too, like a dependent or an enemy):

Finally, write up 100 good words describing your character.  Include stuff like personality traits, important possessions, relationships, and anything else that suggests what he can do and why and how he solves problems.  Don't get hung up on game system limitations or things like that. 

Bobitron

• ÜberGuber
  • Grand Master
  • XP: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »

That sounds so much better. :)
Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana!
Pages: 1 [2]