PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64]

Author Topic: The Barracks (OOC chat)  (Read 27440 times)

Perius

• Artisan
  • XP: 13
    • View Profile
Re: The Barracks (OOC chat)
« Reply #945 on: May 10, 2017, 05:31:51 PM »

I'm definitely closer to being a power gamer than the Colonel, but I really liked the fact we were shitting our pants. If we're not shitting our pants everytime we encounter a demon, we're overpowered.

I guess there's a balance between missions like the cat or the daemon or the assassin, which are cool because you get the sense that if the team doesn't play well one of you might actually be in danger, and then the routine missions where you're waiting for the surprise and then it turns out there isn't one. It keeps you guessing.

If the Only War xp table is designed for GMs who want their players to fight Spess Marines, then maybe the way to keep it real whilst keeping progression is to make some elite enemy troops who are as overpowered as we are? Or some classic assymmetric warfare, stick us in situations where it's just not a fair fight.

What do I know anyway. I'm not gonna teach a grandma to suck eggs. Just really enjoying the way the squad dynamic works in this story, and the way the NPCs are slowly developing.

Time to go spend some xp.

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
  • XP: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 10, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »

I'm not criticising Bob at all for what it's worth. Just expressing the feeling that I get when trying to level Hood up.

And I do agree we should be worried when we get into combat or there's no point.

Bobitron

• Grand Master
  • XP: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 10, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

I've just been building the upcoming missions a bit and it feels really artificial to put your squad up against a platoon of 3-4 dozen VLA (and really ups the chance of one of you taking a lucky critical due to sheer volume of fire), but at the same time it feels out of place to upgrade the VLA to come close to your level. Like BA said, once you start adding in bonuses from equipment, skills, comrades, etc numbers start getting really high. The cat fight was a good example of sticking you against something brutal. If you are willing to take your lumps (or unlucky enough to be that target- sorry, Bookie!), your firepower comes to bear on a single target really quickly and you basically beat up a sentinel equivalent in short order.

I've definitely tried to up the ante in fights without just throwing you against tougher targets or more targets by forcing tough decisions and making things asymmetrical because you can't really bring that firepower into play.

You all started pretty elite compared to the VLA grunts, really. The advances are just icing.:)
Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana!

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • XP: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 14, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »

Would it be possible to use a Logic check to get a rough estimation on how deep the river is? Or would that be too far out of the scope of the skill?
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 14, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »

Plenty of practical ways to gauge the depth. Your logic says it's not too deep based on others you've encountered that look similar. Maybe 1-2m?

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 14, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »

Have we got any chemical flares that we could drop in the river and maybe illuminate it?

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 14, 2017, 07:37:18 PM »

Sure.

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »

CB's right about the chainblade, btw. It's not made for real sustained logging work, but it'll be faster than the axe!

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 16, 2017, 05:21:44 AM »

I wasn't thinking about speed so much as noise. I guess an axe isn't very quiet but thought a revving chain blade was more likely to attract bad guys.

If anyone's got better ideas I'm all ears. Don't want to be making all the decisions as a player but just trying to play the sergeant for good or ill.

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • XP: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 16, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »

No worries CB.  If I had a better suggestion, I would make it
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64]