PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Chapter 6: M.I.A.  (Read 1694 times)

Bobitron

• Grand Master
  • XP: 39
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 6: M.I.A.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »

The flare sizzles for a moment as it hits the murk, sinking quickly. You can still see the ghostly-green glow under the water, but the silty, slow moving water is too thick for the flare to illuminate. It sinks to maybe 1.5m down and sits, barely visible.

Hecate is leaning over the edge watching closely when a ripple disturbs the turgid waters. The flare disappears in the blink of an eye. She stumbles back, her boot catching on a root, and falls down scrambling.

"You see that? Tell me you saw that!"
Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana!

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
  • XP: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »

"I saw it." Hoods walks up to a tree he judges to be of sufficient size to span the river and be used as a bridge by a trooper and starts chopping at it with the axe. Between chops he says: "We ford the river... cover the crossing... anchor the sentinel... with a winch line... use it to help... Sawyer climb up the bank."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:45:18 PM by Colonel Blood »

Brother Anselm

• Artisan
  • XP: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »

"Thats a lot of hard work Sergeant Hood" Replies Sawyer as he takes in anchor points and begins cogitating weights and stress ratios. "With enough ropes, block and tackle and a bit of prayer, it shouldn't be a problem" Data slate in hand Sawyer slips into a fugue like state as he puts his thoughts into readable reality.

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

"Where engineering... is concerned... you're the boss... Sawyer..." Hood is already regretting smoking that Zuban cigar as he continues to hack at the tree.

Perius

• Artisan
  • XP: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »

Crouch grins. "Betcha you wish you packed more than one axe, eh sarge?" Shouldering forwards, he reaches out his hand with a wink. "Hand it over, boss. This is a young man's job."

Bookie's already hunkered down in the bushes on the bank. His ghillie suit blends with the jungle leaves as he scans the far side of the river through his gun-sight.

Thevshi

• Master
  • XP: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 12:57:13 PM »

Mara had been rather quite since the briefing, the news that 1st Squad was missing had seemed to hit her hard.  Of course that did not stop her from focusing on her job as 2nd Squad went into action to try to find their missing comrades. 

As the squad came to the river, Mara signaled Brosnan to move in closer toward the squad as she found a shaded section of jungle and activated the chameleoline coating for her Carapace armor.  She then focused on the jungle behind them, watching for any sign they were being followed.

"Everything is quite back her so far."  She stated over the squat Vox in a low voice.

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »

The work goes quickly, though the squad is dripping wet with sweat by the time Sawyer uses the Sentinel to push the thick trunk across the slow moving water. The crossing is tense. Mara and Bookie stay in overwatch while the others cross. Anchoring Sawyer gives him enough leverage to make the high edge without much trouble, the Pathfinder's actuators whining as the wide feet claw for traction in the mud. Multi-fuel engine protesting loudly at the strain, he gingerly crests the edge with a nervous eye cast back to the water. Almost 40 minutes has passed since they reached the riverbank.

Soon the jungle is broken now and again by the outlines of age-old structures, so overgrown that a novice might think them rocks. They grow more dense and defined as 2nd Squad approaches the target site, at times peaking through the mossy growth to reveal time-worn decorative carvings in ancient stone.

Bookie notices the first sign of 1st Squad. An Elysian can be seen ahead, propped up against a tree. As the scout calls for a halt, Mara whispers in the comms. "Another. 20m left."

A second guardsman is face down in the undergrowth.

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • XP: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »

Hearing the words that they've made contact with the first (of what was most likely to be many) guardsmen causalities, Zurk began immediately scanning the horizon, searching for possible ambush parties on the perimeter as he awaited Hood's orders.  No doubt he would need inspect the bodies, but given that they've already given their life for the Emperor, he didn't see the need to rush to their side.
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »

Hood thumbs his comm bead. "Spread out. Covering positions. Watch for ambushers, watch for traps." He takes a knee and uses his scope to scan for anything suspicious. He's keenly aware the Elysians may still have life in them and every second counts but 2nd squad will be no good to them dead. Once he is satisfied they aren't walking into a trap he says: "Zurk check the bodies. Mara see if you can pick up a trail or anything that might tell us what happened here."

Thevshi

• Master
  • XP: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »

Mara had resisted the urge to rush toward the downed Elysian she had spotted, knowing full well that it was likely already too late and that this could be a trap.  She scanned the jungle area around the body, looking for any sign of hostiles.

"Understood."  Mara replied when Hood gave his orders.  "Watch for booby-traps."  She added in warning as she activated her chameleoline coating again and moved to start a sweep of the area around the bodies to look for any signs of what happened. 

Perius

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »

Stopping dead in his tracks at the sight of the fallen guardsmen, Bookie sinks wordlessly onto one knee, ghillie-suited outline merging with the shadows of the tall jungle grass. Three paces behind him, Crouch does the same, his eyes nervously scanning the all-surroudning tangle of branches and ruin.

Spoiler: show
That's testing vs 43 (Per 33 +10 for eyesight), either Survival or Awareness, to spot traps, ambushers etc. And vs 50 on Stealth +10 to try and hide in the grass.

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • XP: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »

"Watch my six," Zurk whispered over his shoulder to Sola after hearing Hood's command.  Slowly he crept toward the first body, his eyes shifting between the horizon and the fallen guardsman before them.  He half expected this to be an ambush of some type, though whether it came from a party in the treeline or a booby-trapped corpse he felt was a toss up. 

Reaching the body, he stops just short of being able to reach it before taking a knee and eyeing over every inch of the body, looking for any signs of a buried land mine or other such dangers.

Spoiler: OOC • show
Not sure if you need me to make a roll or not for that.  Not quite inspecting the body *just* yet
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »

Zurk gets within 5m of the Elysian before making a decision the poor soul is in the Emperor's hands. A handful of holes from a high caliber projectile weapon cross the front of her armor. A huge bug, probably 4 cm long, is hungrily digging a burrow into her face.

A glance over at the second shows he fares no better, this time shot in the back. Zurk's stomach at the thought of the thousands of eggs the cloud of flies hovering over the corpse must have lain at this point.

Bookie sinks into the undergrowth so well that for a second even Hood loses sight of him. Mara slinks slowly around the perimeter, finding dozens of tracks. There was so much activity that tracing an individual would be damn near impossible. She spots a few larger ruined buildings nearby through the trees, perhaps 50m further. It would be tough to observe much there without getting closer- the jungle has done an impressive job reclaiming the bastion of religion and civilization over the last couple hundred years. She also sees another dead Elysian toward the ruins, head a bloody mass under a splintered helmet.

Zurk careful checks for traps, ensuring his safety before performing a closer inspection of the bodies, going through the steps drummed into his head despite the obvious. Both troopers are wearing full gear and have weapons nearby. The nametags read Frencis and Duluth.

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »

Hood creeps up behind Zurk, seeing Bookie give the all clear. He takes the proffered name tags and puts them in a pouch. Looking over the bodies he says: "They left their gear. Doesn't look like Vetties did this to me. They're fighting a guerilla war and they can't afford to be picky." Over the squad comms he says: "Let's check the ruins ahead. Bookie and Mara take flanking positions while we follow up. Sawyer have a look at the wounds as you come through. See if you can tell us anything about the weapons we're up against."

Perius

• Artisan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 02:49:27 PM »

As Bookie leads him off to cover the left flank, Crouch whispers over the squad comm. "Who was it, sarge?" It's no secret he's owed gambling debts by half of 1st squad. "Sarge?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4