PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Chapter 5: Local Flavor  (Read 2812 times)

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • XP: 25
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 5: Local Flavor
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »

Zurk stayed quite as the squad re-grouped, Hood offered up an offer in disgust, and then proceeded to mention torching the place.  He had been on missions that had gone sideways before, but this - this was something different.  Hearing the orders to sweep the village, Zurk hesitantly volunteers to assist.  "Sarge...I better join you on the sweep.  In case there are any more wounded in there," he adds a nod toward the huts for punctuation.

Part of him wondered how Hood would even respond to even the suggestion of aiding any villagers.  The other part found himself second-guessing Hood's earlier words about someone out to get them.  If the Company's previous missions where anything like the massacre of locals he just helped participate in, he wouldn't be surprised if someone was out for revenge.
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
  • XP: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »

"Come on then Zurk," says Hood. "But keep your weapons primed. Remember as a soldier of The Emperor your first purpose is to kill his enemies." Hold takes on a slightly far away look before snapping back to the medic. "An open mind is like an open wound - prone to infection."

Bobitron

• Grand Master
  • XP: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2017, 11:24:24 PM »

Hood assigns Mara and Sawyer to watch the perimeter while the squad does a very thorough sweep of the Huts for intel. There is nothing of interest until Hood uncovers a weapon crate under some bedding. Feeling vindicated, he smashes the crude lock and opens it to find an ancient autogun that would take a miracle of gunsmithing to return to firing state and some outdated and rusting grenades. Val answers his call to clear the explosives in case of traps. She finds nothing, pulling the delicate detonators and smashing them underfoot before assuring Hood that the explosives will cook off in the upcoming conflagration.

Ten minutes later the squad is standing a hundred meters from The Huts as the fire quickly expands, encompassing the area in minutes. Hecate radios Canary to inform them the mission is done and the squad is en route home.

The 1km march to the firebase is rapid and somber. A distant plume of thick black smoke is visible over Zurk's shoulder as he takes a last look before entering barracks. The screen door shuts behind him with a slam.
Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana!

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »

Once they're out of the field and behind the safety of Firebase Canary's walls Hood waits until everyone is assemlbed back at the barracks and the squad has a little privacy. Wiping a layer of soot from the burned settlement from his sweaty brow, he says: "Okay let's hear it. If anyone has an issue with what went down then they should say it now."

Brother Anselm

• Artisan
  • XP: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2017, 12:34:25 PM »

Sawyer looked down in embarrassment at the floor. "M.m.mebbe we went in a b.b.bit too strong sarge, W.w.we could have avoided the killing" He shrugged. "B'b.but it all happened so fast...He paused as the flush of embarressment reddened his face wishing he'd just kept quiet or was still with Pearl.

"We were threatened," muttered Cort from his bunk. "Any one of them could a been a bomber, we've seen that shit happen, I'd rather see a hundred of them dead that anyone of us"   

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »

As the squad tore apart the huts, Zurk remained speechless, instead trying to take in every sound Hood, Sawyer, Val, et al. made, hoping to glean some sort of insight into how the squad operates out in the field.  Making their way back to the Canary, he wiped the dirt and sweat from around his neck before rubbing the filth off on his pants.  Ushered into the barracks by Hood, he remains quite for the moment, waiting to see how the others react.

Hearing Sawyer's response, he felt mildly more secure in his discomfort with the way the mission panned out.  Letting a moment of silence fill the room after the Operator spoke up.  "Sarge, if I may speak freely," he started, pulling away from the post he was leaning against, removing his helmet in the process, "I don't know how things usually operate in B Company, but that was definitely more...rough, I guess, than what I'm used to. The kills were clean, but as Sawyer stated, it was a little too strong in my opinion."  Pausing just long enough for the thought to formulate in his head, he continues with a shrug, "Though I haven't had to worry about someone on the inside out to get me or my squad so I can't exactly draw a parallel; maybe it's what's required. Maybe not.  Just a little more forceful than I'm used to Sarge."
Lesson Learned: When a girl you're courting says she's looking forward to a hot night on the town, that doesn't mean arson

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »

Fan's voice chirps in on the vox.

"Sergeant, LT says the debrief can wait until after Chief Loan's training. He'll meet you out at the landing pad in five."

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »

Fan's voice chirps in on the vox.

"Sergeant, LT says the debrief can wait until after Chief Loan's training. He'll meet you out at the landing pad in five."

Hood touches his comm bead. "Acknowledged." Cutting the comms he turns to the squad. "I stand by what I did, and what I ordered you to do. War is a dirty business. Sometimes we know we've done the right thing, sometimes we might doubt that. But what we always know and cannot doubt is that we fight for the Emperor and humanity. In the end it is He who will judge us.

"The people in the huts had been ordered to leave so whether or not they were enemy combatants we were justified in our approach. That is what my report will say and I expect that if anyone asks you what happened you will give a full and frank account of the engagement. The incendiary charges were not set to destroy evidence but to stop the area being reoccupied.

"Was my approach dictated by what has happened to the squad in recent months? I would say yes. Was it justified? I don't know. Would I do it again to keep this squad alive and in active service, so that we can achieve a greater good? Certainly. Unless there is anything further, consider yourself dismissed."

Padre

• Global Moderator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »

Zurk gave a silent nod to Hood's response.  He still didn't feel everything was copacetic, but seeing how the Sarge wasn't exactly giddy over the slaughter brought a slight re-assurance in the back his mind.  Picking up his gear, he made his way out the barracks and toward the landing pad.

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »

After Zurk gets Val to sit still long enough to clean and close her wound, the squad shuffles out to where Chief Loan waits at the landing pad. A half-dozen PDF soldiers are already there, sitting along two long wooden benches. 2nd Squad needs to cram in tightly to fit, the smell of smoke and promethium still strong on their uniforms. Lt. Gormund walks up behind you, standing behind the rows. Fan is with him.

"I'm glad you could join us, Elysians," Loan says with a patient smile. "Don't worry, we've only been waiting in the sun about a half hour."

The PDF troopers don't share his expression.

"We're here to talk radio communication protocols. Considering recent troubles and the potential leak of information, the Lieutenant and I have decided to institute strict comms restrictions. The PDF soldiers are responsible to relaying information from Fire Control to the gun crews and will be joining us."

The next hour is spent covering the use of code words, proper procedures to ensure secure transmission, phonetic alphabet... the list goes on and on. The squaddies have heard this all before in training, and both Hood and Hecate have had additional experience, but it's a fair refresher and Loan is precise and accurate.

Loan steps aside and Lt. Gormund takes over.

"We'll be using an ever changing codename for your squad name when you're in the field. Only myself and Fan will know the code up-front, though guidelines dictate anyone with proper credentials can access the info." He glances at Hood with a faint nod toward Loan. "We'll also use rotating names for Canary and any other locations or targets. The name will be tied specifically to the mission and will never be used again. During each briefing, we'll go over the relevant codes."

"Also, the squad-wide comm net is going to be restricted. Fan here at FDC will only be able to speak with Hecate unless she specifically adjusts the settings to allow in Sgt. Hood or the other members of the squad. That will allow us to ratchet up the security on your micro-beads considerably by removing the amplification patch to Hecate's radio. You shouldn't have trouble with basic electro-sledgehammer tech taking out comms amongst the squad, though it might affect quality or range. Also be far more difficult for anyone to hear the conversation."

"Chief Loan and I are confident this should increase the security of both mission critical information and each of you. Sgt. Hood, before you go back to the field your dataslate will need some adjustment for updated security. Fan will take care of it tonight."

"Any questions? If not, let's debrief on the patrol and you can all get some shut-eye."

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

Hood does not like this at all but is hardly in a position to say so. "One question sir. What if Trooper Hecate is incapacitated? The squad would immediately be cut off from base."

Bobitron

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »

"Sawyer is cross-trained for the vox-caster, as are you. Feel free to have Hecate show the basics to another trooper in the squad if you like."

Colonel Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »

"Yes sir." Hood hands the dataslate over immediately, while resolving to get Sawyer to check it for bugs later.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]