PBP House

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software. Let a mod know if you experience any issues.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interlude Eleven: Word Of A Job  (Read 1979 times)

ccreel67

• Apprentice
  • XP: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Interlude Eleven: Word Of A Job
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »

One moment Gil is sitting quietly, attempting to enjoy a card game with an old friend and a new one, the next moment, in walk the S.O.D. He sits calmly playing cards and give each of his friends a significant look.

'Jiminy Cricket, what now?' he thinks to himself.

Gil turns in his seat to look at Tukera-Blaine and reflect the same blank stare Blaine's probably receiving from at least seventy-five percent of the Watering Whole clients.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:06:52 PM by raikenclw »

Beard

• Novice
  • XP: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 02:32:22 PM »

Kurtz took the cards he was dealt, figuratively and literally.  He did his best to not look any of the marine's in the eye and not tense up too much when the commanding officer started speaking in that same clipped exact speech they seem to teach all officers to speak in.  Picking up his cards he looks from them to Gil then to Gabriel to see what they might be thinking but he didn't dare speak up.

'Ain't this just grand, question is how's this gonna play out.' Kurtz thinks to himself before eyeing Gil with a quirked eyebrow as if to say 'So what's next?'
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:11:44 AM by raikenclw »

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • XP: 11
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 03:35:14 AM »

The silence in the compartment stretches out.  The quiet gets so deep that the hum of the ventilator fans - normally an unheard part of the background - starts to sound like a roaring turbine.  The tension ratchets up right along with the lengthening silence, until you would swear it starts making an audible hum as well . . .

With a wordless roar, the man in the middle booth with the whore on his lap violently shoves her off and sprints desperately for the door.  Throughout the room, people tense and jerk.  Some dive out of their seats, into the floor or under tables and booths.  But the surrounding Marines don't so much as twitch, let alone bring down their weapons and open fire.

Instead, it's their commander who moves.  As the running man vaults over the northeastern table, Lieutenant Tukera-Blaine steps forward with seamless grace and lays hands on him.  A series of movements too swift to make out follows.  With a surprised grunt, the man continues to fly over the Lieutenant's shoulder to land on the deck with a dull thwack! and skid to a limp stop near the hatch.  A pair of Marines move over and begin binding the man's arms behind him, as their commander turns to face the room.

Brushing back a loosened lock of hair and straightening his rumpled tunic, the Lieutenant says (just a tad breathlessly):

"The Imperial Navy thanks you for your cooperation.  Please return to your entertainments and have a nice day."

As swiftly and silently as they filed in, the Marines file back out, half-carrying, half-dragging the bound man in their midst.

Spoiler: With Permission . . . • show
As explained in the OOC thread - which explanation may or may not survive my intended future "housecleaning" of that thread - CC gave me the gist of this post face-to-face at our weekly gaming session.  He didn't feel up to summarizing Velvet's offer (made while she was still an NPC) in-game, so he asked me to do so.

Once the Marines are safely out of earshot, the relieved clientele begin to loudly comment on what they've seen.  The folk who dived for cover resume their seats, most taking the ribbing of their companions in stride.  Within seconds, an observer would think that nothing at all out of the ordinary had occurred.

Relighting his cigar - which his held breath had induced to go out - Gil picks up with his narrative seamlessly, without making reference to the Marine's departure:

"I've spent the past couple of days in the company of a very attractive woman named Manyx, who says she's an ex-Companion.  A big, half-cybered mechanic called Tap and a combat medic called Niko are her busom friends.  Last night, the four of us met a cure little shuttle pilot named Velvet, who told us that she's got a line of a derelict jump ship.  She's figuring on equal shares for everyone who helps her retrieve the boat, which she terms 'a right serious ship.'"

After moving his cigar from one side of his mouth to the other, he continues:

"It seems we aren't going to steal it.  Rather, we're going to find it, somewhere out in the Deep Beyond of this very system.  Then we going to repair it.  Oh!  And - in the process - we also get to 'clean out a few little problems, in the way of boobytraps and such.'  That last bit is her words, exact."

Raising his eyebrow, Gil glances at his two tablemates:

"Sound interestin' to either of y'all?"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:45:34 PM by raikenclw »
"Don't give them what they want.  Give them what they need."  Joss Whedon

Beard

• Novice
  • XP: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 11:10:21 AM »

"Sounds like you're lucky you ran in to me Gil, I know first hand how tricky some of those traps can get.  Seen em blow a man's guts clear across a room and hang em up like Christmas decorations." Kurtz says before spitting more of his dip onto the floor. 

"It just so happens I've got experience with just that kind of problem AND a salvaging licence to boot." he goes on before picking up his cards to look them over.  Deciding they aren't worth the paper they're printed on he shoves them back to the middle of the table.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:08:37 PM by raikenclw »

raikenclw

• Grand Master
  • XP: 11
  • Poohness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 10:52:17 PM »

As Gil and then Kurtz speak, Gabriel Nunne finishes his glass of water.  Sitting the empty glass back down, he first twirls it a quarter turn one way, and then a quarter turn back the other way.  Looking up at the other two men, he nods slowly:

"I've an in-system shuttle with good range on her.  I've also got a real skilled techie as First Mate.  I'll have to check with him, o' course, but the deal sounds fine to me."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:18:33 AM by raikenclw »
"Don't give them what they want.  Give them what they need."  Joss Whedon

ccreel67

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »

"Then, Let's finish our drinks and get out of this Imperial watering hole. We can always drink in private and I can tell I may need a spare bottle of whiskey in the days to come."

Gil finishes his drink and gives one last glance around the room before he gets up from the table and hesitates for the other two men to join him. He pulls some credits from his pocket and leaves them on the table for their server.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:34:13 PM by raikenclw »

ccreel67

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

Spoiler: Bottle Source, GM • show
CC, dear heart, Gil is in a bar . . . why not have him buy an unopened bottle off the bartender?  The Ask Me is very unlikely to have a city ordinance against that sort of thing.   ;D

Spoiler: Bottle Source, CC • show
ooc: It did occur to me that it might be possible to purchase the liquor there but I  didn't know what the local law was. Guess I'm not a very imaginative spaceman? Esta manana.

Spoiler: Bottle Source, GM Again • show
I don't think it's lack of imagination.  Just unconscious expectation (based on buying alcohol in the real world of the "Bible Belt").  I'll edit your above post to remove reference to a store, thus leaving the implication that Gil's going to buy a bottle from the bar.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:32:30 PM by raikenclw »
Pages: 1 [2]